Sunday, June 27

ooh.. REJECTED

Yep. I'm not Singapore Idol material.
I'm suprisingly more sleepy than anything.
I still have a heart, and emotions, thusly I'm a tad bit disappointed, but who wouldnt be.

hokie, not my kinda thing.. but here goes a super detailed loooonnnnggg entry.. or as much as I can type...

I cant say agree with the choice of judges, but then again, Singapore excels.. in someways, and.. lack in.. alot of other ways. I shant say what. I guess they're good in what they do - My stand since judges were revealed.

JUDGES..
I hadda double n triple check who.. At first, I only remembered Dick Lee, some girl, some SG rockerfella, some producer. But it got better.. The second version of what I gradually got better at - remembering their names - was "Dick Lee, some radio chick, Doglus Olivaro, Ken Something". And even after the audition, I could only remember all their names with difficulty. After there was some natter abt it in the waiting room. Then again, Ken *what*??

They were professional, or what they deemed professional. (airly)Who am I to say. And Dick Lee was definately the Crow of the Singapore Judges. (I forgot that American fella's full name; anyhow hantum "Crow" from a vague memory. I hope its right.) He had the 1st say. and.. the rest hadda agree.

Well, I waited again. But it was now more humane treatment to the "POWs". Thou the length of time was still almost as rediculous, and quite unfair to some. Most of the crew members were actually quite chirpy... Hadda wait looooonnnngggg thou, and for some even as long as 4 hours in that waiting room.

On either side of me, was this really sweet girl.. - Eurasian; Beaut. Her boyfriend got in too.. as well as a distant cousin. She sed her sis would've tried dout if not for the fact that the sis was going abroad for study. And this malay chick, Full of Attitude. Rather charismatic. Was easily bored.. haha.. We were rather well aquainted from the 1st meeting point - The 1st Queue.

Anyway, the 3 of us clicked so well.. we started singing in the toilet when we were led outside the audition room. Gurmit nicknamed is "charlies angels" .. for obvious reasons. And that was one of the few times he'd actually be able to breeze into the ladies washroom and not be splattered with soiled tissue. BTW, we were filmed. *BLUSH*

Sequence of Events..
So I arrived a lil early. I went to the duck counter to look for my friends *jasmyn and jean*. They were so supportive. Came up to the 3rd level to keep me company, even thou it was lunch break. That was the 1st Queue. Standing in line, like waiting to be slaughtered. *Thankieeeeyyyyooouuuuu Dearies*

Aft that.. wait ard.. wait wait again.. and they brought us in. A relatively fast registration.. and sit and wait again... Same repeated msg by the SAME lady who did the previous one during the 1st round of auditions.. - She is SOOO good... she rememebers it by heart.. like a tape recorder, with a fakish sweet smile.

Everyone had to do an interview. *BLEH* so, i just sed... normal stuff .. that i put in the application. (dont ask me what, i kinda forgot already) kinda was blabbering.. GEEZ.

After all were done with the personal interview, one of the ~Press Staff~ sed to do SOMETHING FUN. It was loads fun alright. Stand up and sing Count on me Singapore. and coz no one could figure out the 1st line, the tape-recorder lady - who was really much nicer today - gave a 1 liner, and everyone started singing.. for the camera. Was oddly fun.

The ultimatum came when we ended the song.

It wasn't Count on me Singapore AT ALL.. I cant even remember which other nationalistic song she schemingly provided us with! And we hadda sing again!! Count on me Singapore, The CORRECT VERSION - for the camera of course. With a lil protest, we started on a lil R&B tune. That was better, thou... I suck at lyrics.

~ my memory is failing me. i forgot what was the 2nd song. and i kinda forgot what else we did but wait around ~

A couple of plastic cups full of ice water, or so the sign said and few toilet breaks, .. sign in and out... bleh. POWs, we were. Got to know a few pple ard me.. kept each other company.. crapped a bit, small chatter, some singing... and finally we moved all the way up front.

2 hours in there... and another hour to go just outside the audition room.

So lil briefings here and there. the Charlies Angels poked ard in the ladies room, and we did an impromptu performance. "You're Just TOOOO GOoOooODd To BE TRUUUUUuuuUEEEEE..." and they filmed us and all that..

SILLY. haha, but that was more fun that Count on me Singapore.

and we did the mini interview with Gurmit. He'z ggGGGuUUUuDD. The mood wasnt tense at all. Or were we just overwhelming with all the ritzy ditzy..

Good-lucks went round every few minutes. and Finally, My turn.

The Audition..
hhmm.. all my nerves went to overdrive once i started singing.
well, that was after a short introduction to the Song and artist...
uh huh, and dick lee stopped me aft 1 stanza

~Look at me, you may think you see who I really am
But you'll never know me
Everyday it's as if I played a part
Now I see, if I wear a mask I can fool the world
But I cannot fool my heart~
--OK, THANK YOU--

Oh well, so I stopped.

Snippets of the conversation:
The first thing he said:"Your voice is too sweet. Very melodious"
YIKES
"Its not.. exciting."

And the next one, female, agreed that it was "nice".

And Olivero was saying "You probably sing alot (errmm.. only in the bathroom, Mr Olivero) and you should continue singing. But your voice is very gentle, and thats not Singapore Idol."

So I asked "So what kind of a song would you consider exciting? (since well, ballads arnt really much of excitement anyhow)....

Somewhere inbetween, Mr Lee cut in with "its not about the voice, its about the delivery"

uumm.. Okie.... so now its not the voice? Not too sure yet..

Lastly, Mr Ken *what* sed "the rest of the judges have said mostly it" and something like "good voice".

And so I was rejected. (hehe, sounds a lil misleading...)

Anyway, came out, and mum and gurmit was there with the cameraman, and some post audition mini-interview with gurmit and then YET ANOTHER Interview in the "Conclusion" room.

we waited for the rest of the my group of 5 to come out, none of us got in.. but they made the wait much more bearable.

Post Mortum..
So my voice is sweet. Thanks. *giggle* I was thinkin, maybe I shd have insisted on singing further, or switching to my fav Whitney Houston "I will always love you". But I didnt, so no point harping over that.

I did tell them i was SUPER nervous. As always. They could hear my voice quivering..
What I did mention in the conclusive interview and a lil bit with gurmit was that, at least they knew what they were looking for, albeit quite unfair to the MANY who can really sing good, excluding me. Talking abt those that i over heard in the waiting room. Some of them, REAAALLYY talented, but ballad/ opera kinda voice.


And it seemed to me that.. if my voice is too sweet, then this group of people wont make it. Since they were cutting down the numbers from 700, to the final 100, their decision making process may be a lil rash.. then again, there are always pros n cons..

With the exception of Olivero, none of them really sing. Not that I know singing stuff very well... but I think most people would agree with me on this:
Dick Lee, is like a mix of everything. Musical, a bit of a singer then, and producer.. chapalang. And, I really dont know the lady judge, so, well.. maybe she'z just there to look good? She looks rather attractive. huurr.. aah, shez mediacorp staff la, figures. Olivero is mostly rock, or so I hear. and Ken, he shd know good voices, being a producer.. they may not be the best combination of judges, but mediacorp still has the final say.


*shrug ur shoulders, life's a bitch eh?*

for those who think i'm super duper sad and down and blue and gonna be rash... Dont think i'm sore about it at all. i'm perfectly fine. I tried it out coz you all had soo much faith in me.. and thus I thank you for that. I'm a little relieved actually. no more waiting and definately no stage fright! ;)

No comments: